a) Tom and Daisy at Gatsby’s party: http://www.sccenglish.ie/2012/02/great-gatsby-8-tom-and-daisy-at-gatsbys.html (pp 90-91).
b) Gatsby’s despair about Daisy: http://www.sccenglish.ie/2012/02/great-gatsby-9-gatsbys-despair-about.html (pp 95-6).
- What portrait is given in this chapter of the young James Gatz?
- What is the influence of Dan Cody on Gatz/Gatsby?
- Three short quotations about Gatz’s/Gatsby’s youth.
- Why is Gatsby ‘unutterably depressed’ near the end of the chapter (p. 85)?
- If you had to choose one short passage (c.20 lines) as the key one in this chapter, what would it be? Why? Key quotations?
- Three other useful quotations from the chapter not used already.