The spring 2010 issue of the English Support Service's excellent 'Teaching English' magazine has just been published, and can be read online via Issuu above. It's a special edition dedicated to 'Approaches to Learning and Teaching in the First Year Classroom', giving us time to think about planning courses starting in September. Scroll through via the arrows, click on a page to open it up, and a second time to see it in close-up.
Among the articles are:-
- Larry Cotter and Frances Cotter leading with what works and doesn't for first years,
- a comprehensive fiction reading list for first and second years,
- Catherine Sullivan and Una Smith from Virginia College, Cavan on their SLSS-supported project (including poetry, drama and film), and also Niamh Martin and Martin O'Neill from Kilkenny analysing their own year's teaching,
- Alicia McGivern from the Irish Film Institute : 'Ten Film Choices for First Year and Junior Cycle' (mostly recent ones, including Osama and Bend it Like Beckham),
- Frances Cotter and Joan Colbert from Kilkenny on debating skills and 'the reading factor'
- '14 ideas for working on a class novel',
- '11 ideas for teaching first year English'.